Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Antique orphan Photographs

I always keep my eye open for interesting antique cameras when visiting flea markets and antique shops. Once in a blue moon I'll come across something interesting picture wise.

Such is the case of these 3 items found in a Cap Cod antique shop this summer. They are glass 5X7 wet plates of a place and time unknown for now. I've posted the original scan and the retouched version after giving it a go in Gimp.

Original

If you know anything about wet plate photography, you know this photographer was hardcore to shoot this in the cold of winter.

Original

I'm guessing City Hall of some place. Branches tell the story of a windy day. This was probably around 25 ISO at best. Depth of field is very shallow and something happened in processing which I cannot figure out yet. UPDATE this is Lynn Massachusetts old city hall. According to some info the plate dates from anywhere between 1868 and 1883.

Original

What's interesting about this one is if you look in the lower left corner, you can actually see the shadow of the photographer.
Feel free to do better and if you know these places and time, do let me know.

Thanks for watching.

Gerry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment