Sunday, January 1, 2012

Shooting with the Canon Powershot G12

Vintage looking crappy picture. You'd swear this was taken in 1972!
I had quite a challenge yesterday as I was invited to my Son's place to celebrate New Year's eve. His apartment is very badly lit and it was going to be a challenge even for the G12. It's low light capacity is very good compared to its predecessors but still.

The image is still surprisingly crisp for the lighting condition. No tripod or flash.
First off white balance was hard to establish and I never got the setting right. I had to go with high ISO (800) to get some kind of decent shot without a flash. This high ISO rating brings out a lot of noise on the image.

Using the onboard camera flash on manual setting.
The best setting turned out to be black and white in manual mode with a set zone focus and flash. I like the vintage look of it enhanced by the 1:1 square format that brings back memories of 120 film 6X6 images. I guess I'm in a black and white phase right now. Don't know why, I just love it.

The additional lighting present in the kitchen shows here. Same settings as previous.
The closer the subject to the flash, the better. Same settings as previous two images.

Thanks for watching.

Gerry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment