Saturday, January 21, 2012

Using a $5 Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash

The 50's version of a point and shoot.
I got my hands on this beat up 1950 something Kodak Brownie Hawkeye flash this week. A pretty simple little camera that has seen better days. It came with the flash holder but I don't have any bulbs right now, so I used it with film only.


One good thing and one bad thing about this camera. the good thing is altough it was made to use 620 film which is discontinued, if you still have the original 620 spool in the take up position, a 120 film will fit in the feeder side. The bad thing is that it is fixed at aperture f/11 and 1/30th of a second for shutter speed.


I shot a roll of Ilford HP4 125 on a very sunny day, so that meant the entire roll would be over exposed. Normal setting for this type of condition would have been f/16 at 1/125. So I had to reduce the processing time in order to compensate. 3 minutes in the developer instead of 4.


The results are pretty good considering that there is no focus adjustment and you shoot through a plastic lens. It's a good thing that I took the time to clean it.

I don't think I'll be using it much but it's handy to have in the arsenal.

Thanks for watching.

Gerry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment