Saturday, October 1, 2011

My workhorse, the Nikon Coolpix S8100

My everyday workhorse, scars and all.


I started in digital photography back in 2003 with a Minolta E223 2 mega pixel point and shoot. The LED screen was tiny, it was slower than a snail in processing images, it was even slow to just start and it ate batteries like crazy. I did manage some nice shots with it and it was awesome at macro shots. Case in point below.

Taken for a listing on Ebay


When it died I had a brief stint with a Kodak point and shoot that I can't recall the model but it was crap. Thankfully it was stolen from my son while he was in France.

My next camera was a Canon E550 Powershot. A great all around point and shoot that did everything and got me to the next level at taking pictures. Unfortunately it was dropped and developed a hairline crack in the lens. I tried to fix it and now it sits in pieces, in 3 bags.

My Minolta and Canon now in pieces after serving me well.


My current workhorse is a Nikon Coolpix S8100. It is a very good point and shoot and the transition from it to the Canon was merely a question of getting used to it. Both cameras have their strength. The Canon has great software that permits you just about everything in manual mode and there is even added software that you can download off the web to get even more control, effectively turning your little Powershot into a DSLR almost! The Nikon's strength is its hardware. An awesome wide angle lens that can even handle macro shots and a decent zoom. The Nikon is also a lot better in low light conditions. The software isn't bad, it's just a bit less flexible. One nice feature is the custom white balance adjustment.

As you can see the Nikon is already showing some signs of abuse. It is with me every single day. (Always carry your camera with you. If you like taking pictures, you just never know when a great shot might come your way.) Hopefully it won't die too soon but if it does, Nikon is the first one on my list.

Whatever camera you have always remember this, it's what is behind the camera that matters, not the camera.

Until next time, take care and take pictures!

Gerry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment