Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Yashica Electro 35 GSN


One thing I love is old cameras. More specifically those that can still be used. I don't enjoy dumping money on old things that just sit there and look pretty.


A recent trip to the Thrift Store hooked me up with this beauty. A Yashica Electro 35 GSN vintage mid 70's. The price was right, $5 as is. At that price I was willing to take a chance and at worst it could be a parts camera for a future hacking project.


The camera operates on Aperture priority with the shutter speed automatically selected by the camera. One problem, the battery that operates it is no longer made. I bypassed that problem with 4 1.5V pill cells, some tape and a few washers.


It needs a bit more cleaning and the light seal is totally shot. I'll be using some black tape to seal the light box to drop a film in it to test it out. If I'm happy with the results, from what I've been reading I should, I'll take the time to seal it properly.


These cameras are also known to suffer from the "Pod of Death" which is a small rubber washer that tends to rot away. Mine seems to be fine. I'll post the test pictures when I have them.

Thanks for watching.

Gerry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment