Monday, October 3, 2011

Taking close ups and macro shots with your point and shoot camera

My latest toy, more of a close up shot than a macro shot.

Most point and shoot cameras have a macro setting. That's the little flower symbol used on every camera to indicate the macro mode.
My Great Grand Father's watch

Some cameras get you closer than others. My Nikon S8100 in this case can go as close as 1 cm. You just have to make sure that the mode is engaged. If you don't know how to activate it, read the manual. If you don't have it, it's online somewhere, just find it.
Old tubes look cool, check closely and you can see my camera and the inside of my light-box reflected on the glass.

The other thing you need is a proper setting for your subject of choice. A clean piece of cardboard bent to cover the "ground" and the back with no crease will give you a nice uniformed background. Any background will do fine for macro shots, a uniformed colored one just draws all the attention to the subject. There's no wrong way of doing this, as long as you like what you do that's all that matters.

The next thing you need is a source of light. You'll need to diffuse it with a piece of tracing paper, regular white paper or make yourself a light box out of cardboard and tracing paper. Adjust your white balance according to your light source (incandescent, fluorescent, etc.).
This is my light-box set up. It looks beaten up because it is but it does the job wonderfully.

All that is left is for you to do is shoot away and experiment. I've recently found a neat trick where you put a piece of glass for added reflection. I'm sure there are better ways to do this and when I find out, I'll make sure to share it with you.

Until next time, keep taking pictures.

Gerry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment